Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

8/07/2010

A simple scrapbook is not a photo album

My favorite simple 8 x 8 scrapbook page has two photos, a caption, maybe an embellishment, and not much journaling. Can a scrapbook get so simple that it becomes a photo album ? Perhaps close, but no.

Current photo albums have two or three sections per page to slide in the photos. There's a wide margin to leave blank or add some journaling, stickers, or embellishments. I have one photo album that I filled with decades of random animal photos, one album of my absolute favorite photos, and one album of Disney photos that I somehow didn't scrapbook (yet).

In photo albums, the photos are all the same size, so no cropping, and no layout composition (maybe switching some photos around). There is no selecting or fussing with background pages because the album is totally assembled. And that's the difference. I absolutely love deciding on the layout and composition in my scrapbooks. Making scrapbooks is my hobby. Assembling photo albums is creative organization.