Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

4/26/2008

"Then and Now" pages

Some of my favorite scrapbook pages are my "then and now" pages -- pages that highlight people at the same place in different years.
These photos could be taken intentionally (that my daughters have learned to tolerate) or total surprises while sorting photos.

I love making these scrapbook pages. In looking at my collection, I discovered that I use three basic layouts:
  • two photos the same size
  • a collage of several photos
  • one larger photo and a second accent photo -- either the older or the more recent photo works well as the larger photo -- sometimes the quality of the photos.

Great topics for "then and now" comparisons include people:

  • at the same vacation spot at the beach, Disney, cottage, skiing
  • with the same Disney character -- even Mickey changes over the years
  • on the first day of school, especially the same school
  • visiting Santa -- one child through the year -- or several children at the same age
  • graduation photos of gramma, mom, and daughter
  • in their Halloween costumes through the years
  • in different hairstyles
  • returning to a childhood home or neighborhood
  • with all the babies who used a family highchair or baby bouncer.

My absolutely favorite scrapbook pages are those that highlight family similarities. I matched childhood photos of my daughters to childhood photos of me that my mother gave me. We are doing almost the same thing in the same pose at almost the same age, but thirty-ish years apart. Total co-incidence !