Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

11/29/2008

Embellishments for vintage pages

Vintage embellishments in scrapbook stores are almost always Victorian or 1950's style, but many family history pages are not. I find great embellishments at the nearest antique mall or internet site in the form of vintage advertisements and postcards. Vintage postcards are often sorted by location, theme, or holiday. The postmark (if it was used) can give you its date if you want to be historically accurate. Ads are often sorted by product, manufacturer, or theme.

Internet auction sites like e-bay often have their images scrambled or distorted so the image cannot be printed, but I find a e-shop with several items I can use, then I buy them. Fair for the seller, and usually a bargain for me. An average postcard costs from 50 cents to 4 dollars, well within the range of a "new" vintage decoration, and are often a bargain. Ads range from 2 dollars to quite expensive.

On Google, I often type what I am looking for, and sometimes a public domain website pops up, for example "B-25 postcard" or "vintage B-25 ad."