Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

3/22/2008

My Favorite Fonts

Fonts are styles of type. I love using different styles to convey different moods and emotions.
I spent time working for my father in his typesetting business that set the type for advertisements and brochures. I was fascinated by the choice of different styles of typefaces with different ads.


Besides the fonts that come with my Word program, I browse
http://www.fontface.com/ and the shopping section of http://www.creativekeepsakes.com/ for ideas and downloads. Fontface has the most free fonts. The variety on both sites can be both fun and overwhelming.

Although I have some favorite fonts for titles and captions, I try to use a very wide variety of fonts, some used only once to fit a specific page.

While many scrapbookers handwrite their text boxes and journaling, I prefer to type. I have several favorite fonts that I use frequently because they are readable and resemble hand lettering. I probably use "Bradley Hand" most frequently. "Comic Sans" and "Andy" are good for informal and children's pages. "Papyrus" is a little exotic but quite readable. Two or three yers ago I bought a Creative Keepsakes CD of 30 elegant fonts "for special occassion" that work well for many narratives.