Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

9/27/2008

"Historic" Family Documents

I have been busy chronicalling my step-dad's WWII duty in Africa, Italy, and Corsica.
We have some small (2x3) B&W photos, a few newspaper clippings, and his discharge paper.
Through the wonderful internet, I have found old Stars and Stripes and New York Times newspaper articles and several documents relating to his service in 1942 to 1943. I found his disabled father's draft card from 1942. Similarly, I have found the census record for my husband's grandfather (as a boy)'s family, my grandfather's Canadian Army discharge paperwork, and other really interesting family documents. www.ancestor.com has been worth the $19.95 for one month's worth of searching (maybe two months).

I want to scrapbook these original and downloaded "documents" in a vintage style. I started by printing or copying them on different shades light tan, beige, or parchment cardstock. Although the original paper may have been white, now the originals (if I had them) would be aged, and all the documents would not be the same color paper. I tried to size the document so I could trim it smaller than 8 1/2 x 11 to mount on black cardstock because vintage scrap books are almost always black.

No pages are totally complete yet, but many are in progress................