Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

7/11/2009

Memories WITHOUT photos

It seems hard to believe, especially since the dawn of digital cameras, but there are actually events that have not been documented in multiple photographic views. Memories of these events can be strong, funny, important, and ..........undocumented ? How can these memories be translated into a visual story ?

My daughter recently gave me three humorous "badges" for "Herding cats," "Pirate Appreciation," and "Blogging." She actually thought of me and my (quirky) impact on her life ! And she actually remembered to give them to me (eventually). So what to do ? Sew them on my jacket ? Stick them on my bedroom mirror ? Of course not.......scrapbook them ! She agreed to list some of the "requirements" that I can accomplished, and a page was born. We had done Girl Scouts in the past, so the page evoked a sash.

I am delighted with the result of spending a lot of time creating my favorite "Mommy Scout" title. I could not find a digital font, stickers, or die cut that I liked, so in the end I bought chipboard letters that were the "right" font but the "wrong" color and size, so I arranged, scanned, photoshopped, and adjusted. Not all that practical, but sometimes motherhood isn't. (If you have heard about the Cricket, yes, that would have been easier, but I am NOT going there).