Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

9/20/2009

Why do I scrapbook ?

The summer of fourth grade, my mother had me scrapbook our road trip through New England.. Scrapbooking the Nixon-Humphrey campaign was a school project. I scrapbooked Apollo 11 all on my own. Then no more scrapbooks. My children's baby books were cute fill in the blanks styles.

Then in 2000 I visited my cousin Lynn who had plunged into scrapbooking. I was hooked, despite my stressful and chaotic life and job, I love my scrapbooks, my scrapbook paper, my supplies, and my tools. I love my scrapbook magazines. I love font websites. Why ??

  • Scrapbook pages are more meaningful to me than the stored boxes of photos and bits and pieces of paper I collect

  • Shifting through the boxes for material for my pages triggers memories I had forgotten.

  • Compared to my day jobs, creating attractive pages gives me a challenge without real risks of pain, danger, death, or lawsuit.

  • Applying design concepts learned in my past lives working in my father's typography studio and working in Dr. Cooley's college media production labs link my past and current lives.

  • My interest in historical research can provide captions, embellishments, and style elements that are uniquely mine.

  • My life requires a hobby that I can do anytime, with little travel, timetable, and relatively little cost for supplies (at least per purchase).

  • Swapping scrapbook pages with my mom lets us collaborate despite our distance

  • Scrapbooking has given me an identity in my family -- the photographer of photos for the scrapbook.

  • Looking at the albums on the shelf reminds me that my life has been full of happy times.

  • Occassionally my children actually look at them.

  • Rarely my children actually show them to friends.

  • When I am old, I will enjoy looking at them and forcing young people in my life to look at them with me.