Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

4/10/2010

What did Gramma's House look like ?

My newest scrapbboking tool (and random time waster) is using Google Maps Street View and Google Earth Panoramio to find current photos of my family's "historic" locations. Some of these locations have no photos to scrapbook, and other locations have old photos that I would like to compare with a current photo for a then/now page (one of my favorite layouts).

Google maps has good instructions but requires some mouse practice to maneuver, and the resolution is good enough. Having a specific address is most helpful; yes, more information to obtain and save, along with those childhood friends' names.

Panoramino just needs a town, park, or church name, but its results are limited to whatever photos have been posted. I have enjoyed many beautiful random photos.

So far I have found photos of my childhood homes in Toronto and Vailsburg, my mother's childhood home in Montreal, my grandparents' home in Lachine Quebec, the cemetary where my mother's original Simons relatives are buried in Ireland Township Quebec, and the church where I was batpized. I am astonded by how little some houses have changed (or a lot == a grandparents' house is now an overpass).

At the moment cruising the world with Google has been more fun than practical (as in producing pages), but isn't a hobby supposed to be fun ?? And who knows what I might be inspired to do !