Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

3/07/2010

Date Those Photos (and Label those People)

On pretty and artistic scrapbook pages, it's important to work in the who, what, where, and when (or at last write the info on the back). Memories for details do fade, years totally blend together, and cute toddlers look very similar.

I have been going through old pages to update scrapbook pages to label the who, what, where, and when, which has required some wierd family calculations -- such as

To calculate Helen's age in a photo taken on a trip with Jane in Jane's only year as a cadette girl scout in seventh garde if Jane started kindergarten at age 5, Jane would be 13 in seventh grade, so if Jane was born in 1987, the trip was 1999, so with Helen born in 1995, then she was four ! It would have been easier to date the photo, but perhaps less interesting.

Many more trips down memory lane are necessary to date other photos by figuring out what year did we have what curtains, which babysitter, what car.