Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

6/15/2008

Layouts with One Large Photo

Some photos tell enough of a story themselves that they can fill a scrapbook page alone with a title. This requires a print bigger than a 5x7, and making 8x10 enlargements is expensive, especially so I can try a design or a cut-out. I started using the enlargement feature on the photocopiers at Kinkos or Staples for "rough drafts" for these pages. A 4x6 is enlarged about 35% to fill most of a vertical page (portrait view) and almost 65% to a horizontal page (landscape view). Some photocopiers have a "photo" setting too. I make a regular copy first to make sure the sizing is correct before I make the more expensive color copy.

Then I discovered that for most pages, the enlarged photocopy was perfect enough even for my final page. I like a soft resolution, but if the original photo is not in focus, the large photo becomes "too soft." I now have a photocopier that makes great copies, but ink prices are an issue, so I usually still head to Staples.