Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

7/12/2008

Collages and Mosaics

Most of my "regular" pages have two to four photos and show the background page. Collage and mosaic pages have many more photos that virtually cover the page. For me, a collage contains photos that overlap at odd angles, and often include other paper "ephymera." A mosaic has photos in a specific pattern that "fit" together. No particular event seems most appropriate for a mosaic -- except that it has to be an event or a subject with lots of photos !

Making a mosaic is very similar to assembling a jigsaw puzzle or a patchwork quilt. I need a stack of photos to move around the page and select those that "fit" together. Trimming has to be done very carefully. Too much trimming and the photo is too small for its space. Any text can fit in its own rectangle, but I often skip the text box and just use a title box.

Almost all my mosaics are composed of different size rectangles with an occassional square. I made a few with different sized curved pieces. I have seen some mosiac pages in scrapbook magazines that are composed of one inch (or two inch) squares of different photographs. I have yet to figure out how to get my photos to fit into those patterns, but I am watching.