Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

8/12/2008

Brads -- a product I wish I only bought once.

Brads are updated paper fasteners with adorable shapes replacing the plain brass buttons. What scrapbooker could not use paper fasteners ? Apparently, me. My daughter and I bought several sets. To my suprise, I then found only one opportunity to fasten papers on a scrapbook page. As an embellishment, brads are too much work for me.

To use a brad, you first punch a hole (with a large darning needle or a specialty tool) for the brad because just pushing the brad through will rip the paper in an unattractive way. Spreading the wings on the back of the paper to fasten the brad makes the page lumpy.

After using eight brads on one page, I have at least 98 more to go. I should knew not to buy supplies "just in case" it get inspired to use them. I knew not to buy the eyelets. I did buy colored staples, but I feel optimistic that I will find a use for them.