Welcome to my world of the practical scrapbooker

Here is ten years of scrapbooking my photos and memorabilia onto actual paper .....without major art projects or (too) complicated techniques.

I blend traditional paper and "new" digital techniques to tell the stories of my family's fun, travels, and history.

Here are my thoughts as I sort, shop, crop, organize, arrange, journal, and decorate my scrapbook pages.

1/19/2008

What's that tool

Sometimes I know from the start that I want to add borders, graphics, embellishments, or other extras. Browsing scrapbook store supplies can provide a lot of inspiration or intimidation. Being intimidated sucks all the fun out of the hobby. I make small purchases. Individually owned stores provide a lot more personal attention and help, especially if you are feeling artistic. Using any technique too frequently makes pages seem gimicky or dated later on. Here are some supplies to investigate --

  • decorative edge scissors -- use to trim the edges of photos, mats, or borders. I am partial to my "torn edge" or "jagged" scissors. I use scalloped and other patterns on occassion.
  • stickers -- highly addicting, should enhance the page, not clutter it. it is ok to use just two off of a page.
  • die cuts -- decorative paper shapes that you have to adhere yourself.
  • ribbon -- for a border or a decoration. Some is self stick, others needs two sided tape to adhere it.
  • corner punches -- my favorite is used rounds the corners, create dovetail corners, or intricate lacey patterns for paper corners.
  • shape punches -- for decorations -- I often find use a specific punch for a specific page once, then never again.
  • equipment that cuts photos into ovals and circles should be tested first to see if you find it as easy as advertised. After lots of searching, I love my Creative Memories brand cutting system. The only shape I use with any frequency is the oval. I find circles hard to use.

Only use the tools and techniques that are simple and fun for you !